What we have achieved so far…
Whilst TOTS has only been in existence for a very short period of time, we like to think we and our amazing partners have achieved a fair bit.
Here’s our Top 15:
1. TOTS is now the world’s biggest literacy project and is already helping over 300 million children to learn to read! It’s also the most cost effective literacy project ever. It has cost under a penny for every child we’ve helped.
2. Netflix has launched a global pilot! Thanks so much to the inspirational Reed Hastings and his teams around the world who are all working on this.
3. YouTube now has dedicated channels containing subtitled kids content. Millions of children are now learning to read whilst watching Inspector Gadget and Peanuts through to Supa Strikas. Thanks so much to the wonderful guys at Moonbug, Wildbrain and YouTube here. You have moved mountains.
4. TikTok have also announced they too will be trialling this imminently. Thanks to Vanessa Pappas and her teams. Watch this space…
5. Sky TV is launching a literacy awareness campaign for their parents later in 2021. Thank you to Fiona Ball and Lucy Murphy for their tireless work on this.
6. Oak Academies, the provider of educational videos to schools (and lifeline to many frustrated homeschooling parents) has now embraced subtitles to improve literacy. Love what these guys do (as covid-homeschooling parents ourselves – double thank you).
7. It’s now written into legislation in India that all linear channels must display subtitled content. Huge kudos to Brij and his colleagues here. You guys are amazing.
11. We’re successfully spreading the word about the power of subtitles to improve literacy with extended features in the Guardian, Observer, Times, Forbes, TES, Daily Mail and over a dozen radio interviews and features. Thank you to all the journalists who have taken the time to really understand what we’re doing and why.
12. We’ve now got the backing of the great and the good of the educational establishment from former Education Ministers and the ex-chair of OFSTED through to celebrities such as Stephen Fry and Cressida Cowell. Thank you to the 40+ signatories of our open letter to broadcasters – we really, really appreciate it. Sorry for spamming your inboxes.
13. We have synthesised dozens of academic papers from some of the world’s most prestigious universities on the topic and condensed it, making it easy to understand and utilise for broadcasters. Brij Kothari, Kirsty Winship, Nina Hale and Marion McGillivray-Harrison – big thank you to you guys.
14. We have assembled a stellar list of partner organisations and an eminent expert panel from around the world to help broadcasters and the media understand what actually works and why. There are so many thanks here, from the truly wonderful team at Annington who have been with us from the beginning, through to Jonathan Douglas and his team at the NLT and Steve Haines at NDCS – you guys all rock. Thank you!
15. The UK Purpose Awards recently awarded us winner of their Collaboration – Best Advocacy Campaign with the National Literacy Trust. Previously called the “Campaign for Good” Awards, the Awards recognise campaigns that use creative ideas successfully to further positive causes, and also acknowledge the organisations behind them. We are very proud to have won this!
It’s been quite the journey. We have even bigger plans for the next phase of TOTS. Let’s have a positive impact on half a billion children shall we?
If you’d like to help, please do get in touch on email@example.com.